Monday, August 18, 2008

Unif-100

Name:Unif-100
Variety:Artificial Shallot Beef
Distributor:Uni-President Enterprises Corp.
Noodle:Ramen
Flavoring:Large powdered soup base + spiced oil with concentrated beef stock + large dried vegetable packet
Preparation:Standard
Notes:Cooking directions in Chinese, English, and ... French?


Alex:

In the same way that Nissin offers their premium Demae line as an alternative to the lower grade Top Ramen, so Unif has a premium line of their own, the Unif-100 series. This heartier version of Tung-I might qualify as a super-heavy weight at 125g, for for the purposes of a level paying field, I'd consider it a contender with the rest of the premiums.

The dry noodles gave off a scent, not unlike clean corrugated cardboard, that took me back to many a childhood dinner party spent running around the stock room of Sea Garden in Seattle's International District. Generous allotments all around, from the noodles themselves to the palpably weightier veggie packet.

Not that I think I'm rebounding, but with the overpowering Mr. Kon experience still fresh in memory, this ramen was precisely the balance I was referring to in that review, and which I was hoping I might soon run across. The heat came primarily from the chilies in the veggie packet, (and not the oil, like in many of the Chinese varieties) giving the soup a flavorful spice, and reducing the harsh pepper-edge. The rest of the vegetables were, dare I say, crisp?

I am generally hard pressed to give a generic "spicy beef" packet an above-average review, if only because of cop-out factor. It's much too easy to mask poor ingredient quality with intense spice, but Unif-100 clearly has no need for such nefarious practices. Here is a well conceived meal that balances flavor, garnish, and soup-noodle integration. Hooray, Taiwan!




Anne Marie:

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Today is Ramen's 50th birthday.

That is all.