Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Jah Jan Mien

Name:Jah Jan Mien
Variety:Mi Tuong Fried Soybean
Distributor:Wei Lih Food Industrial Co., Ltd.
Noodle:Flat ramen
Flavoring:Dry miso packet + soybean concentrate in oil
Preparation:Decant and mix
Notes:"One pack, two taste!"


Alex:

This is my first foray into Taiwanese ramen territory. The first thing that entered my mind, actually, was my mother's homemade sukiyaki - heavy on the takenoko - with a scent like delicate bamboo shoots in light soy sauce. I think it was the nostalgia (and not the flavor) doing the talking, though.

There was a sheen of oil on the surface that I thought might be either spicy or flavor packed, but I think it was just oily. Though I did enjoy the miso-soup-like taste for about 80% of the bowl, turns out there were many insoluble ingredients in the packet of concentrate that gave the soup a gritty finish. I found the flatter noodle texture to be pretty easy going, and offset the denser soybean cloud towards the bottom rather nicely. This packet might make a nice alternative appetizer course for a more substantial bento box or donburi-style lunch.




Anne Marie:

I enjoyed the different texture of the noodles in this Ramen (flatter and thinner, thus making the noodles seem to be of higher dough quality than other Ramen noodles). In terms of broth flavor, I again appreciated the two packets, but was not blown away. The Taiwanese flavor is notably different than your typical packaged Ramen, so I appreciated the variety, but I did not find the spices and oil tastes to be interesting enough. I would eat this type again, but I likely would not choose it out of a crowd of other, better varieties. I would like to try more Taiwanese or similarly flavored Ramens to compare their quality to this one. Good, but unremarkable.

No comments: