Thursday, July 31, 2008

Nissin 出前 (Demae) Ramen

Name:Demae Ramen
Variety:Tokyo Shoyu
Distributor:Nissin Food Products Co., Ltd. Japan
Noodle:Ramen
Flavoring:Dry soup base + liquid shoyu concentrate + dry nori topper
Preparation:Standard
Notes:Packaging looks and feels high quality


Alex:

Back to roots for this Japanese candidate. It seems that the Nissin of Top Ramen and Cup Noodles fame is actually the American arm of the parent Nissin Food Products Co., Ltd. Japan - producer of this line of premium ramen, not typically available in the States.
I was struck first by the soft *puff* of air upon opening the liquid seasoning and smooth, homogeneous pour. The stuff just seemed fresher than I've seen in other varieties that insist on separating the oil from the concentrate. Also of note: sheer quantity of noodles far greater than average.
Noodles had a real full-mouth feel, being thicker and more substantial than the poor American analogue, Top Ramen. The real plus for me was two facts about the nori (shaved seaweed) packet:
1) Sealed separate from the dry soup base
2) Legitimate, fresh, aromatic wafers that took up the soup well

Despite being in keeping with Japanese minimalism, I was surprised at the very conservative flavor of the soup, and was perhaps expecting a little more pizazz from a "premium" variety.
This is the kind of quality I would expect from a name like Nissin Japan. A timeless classic in the world of instant ramen, if there ever was one.





Anne Marie:

Overall a very pleasant Ramen experience. Although I wouldn't characterize the noodles as the highest quality I've tried, they certainly didn't have that slightly overarching starchy taste that can detract from the flavor of the broth. The broth itself at first seemed rather subtle, but then I realized that the flavors weren't bland they were just less pronounced. A softer Ramen broth, but with much more interest than your run-of-the-mill chicken broth.

I appreciated the dried nori shavings (a generous amount as we split it between two bowls), and liked the contrast between the warm, soft noodles and broth with the slightly crunchy nori. My one complaint however is that I did not try the soup before adding the nori. I relate it to how I never put soy sauce on good sushi b/c I find the sauce overpowers the natural flavor of the sushi. In that way I think the nori slightly overpowered the taste of the Ramen. It still tasted quite good, yes, but it took a little bit away from the natural flavors of the Ramen. Next time I'll leave the nori off and add it for select bites.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

where would someone buy something like this?

Anne Marie said...

we purchased all these brands from Ranch 99, a Chinese supermarket chain.